Monday, May 4, 2020

“A special place in hell”



“A special place in hell”


She begins…
Life has never been that easy since I left that house. It was everything that I could ask for, it was like a dream come true.
These days finding a decent job is hard, especially when you have no formal education and the highest I studied was class five in Madzimbani primary school, (Kilifi County). We even see graduates with placards in the news and all over social media asking and begging to be employed because times are tough and the rate of unemployment is very high with most of the jobs given to older people and the rest, requires to scratch someone’s back either by money or the other way, you know it better.
Let me not go there, it’s a discussion for another day.
I worked for this humble ‘Mama” for two years, I call her humble because she treated me like her own daughter. She had two girls with her husband who was head of a corporate somewhere. So most of the times, he was on business trips in and out of the country.
The husband could come back from those trips with gifts for me like the rest of them and even brought more, because he knew I had three children back at home with my mother.
I started to admire him because of how caring he was towards me. I could be moody all day but when I hear Papa’s car approaching in the evening, my moods would change and suddenly be cheerful and excited.
Mama noticed my behavior and suspected that I could be seeing her husband.
She gave me warnings several times towards my change of behavior but I did not give a damn about it.
One day she just woke up and gave me a two months’ notice of losing my job.
That is when my revenge started. School had closed and her children were at home all day.
I started introducing them to men of different ages during the day and asked them never to tell anyone or else they would die.
“Take some napkin and wipe your tears,” I told her as she wiped uncontrollably.
She proceeded…
The girls aged 18 and 16 had gotten used to seeing different men occasionally and they best kept the secret.
It haunts me every day and I have never seen peace and happiness in my life. I left the place with the parents suspecting nothing.
I cried one day when I heard one of the girls had gotten pregnant and the other had committed suicide after testing positive for HIV/AIDS.
I know I have a special place in hell, but am asking for forgiveness from them when they get to read this. I cannot face them.
Do you have a story worth sharing? Email at hanifatamin@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment