Monday, May 4, 2020

SECOND WIFE

I have been married for the past thirty years and I can never allow him to get a second wife, not when am still breathing even though chances of survival now are at stake because of this wave called (COVID–19) that has kept everyone in their houses, more so husbands that were never seen during the day and now children are surprised why Daddy is living with them.
Times are tough, and more so some couples in marriages and relationships are really hanging in there waiting for the lockdown to be uplifted so that they can eventually see marriage counsellors/ therapists and some have their divorce papers ready because they cannot stand their spouses anymore.
Just like in China, divorce rates were reported to be high the moment it was declared Corona free.
Anyway lets come back to my story, a few days ago, my husband sent me a wrong text, a text that was not meant for “moi” (French meaning me, I did some basic French in campus haha) but for his MWK (Mpango Wa Kando/side chick). I know Kenyans who are in that famous group in Facebook called “kilimani mums and dads uncensored” can relate.
“Thanks baby nimepata photos” that was the text message that sent pain down my spine and I could not move or utter anything for a minute, you could think I was a stroke patient.
He was not at home at that time and I wondered what the next thing to do is. Should I call my mum? No, she is ailing and I might add pressure on her. Friends? No, they will form a WhatsApp group and backbite me and say how I used to speak so well of my husband and that It was my turn to feel what some had gone through already.
After scratching my head for half an hour, I decided to call him directly to get the truth firm the horse’s mouth.
When I asked him why he did send me such a text and I hadn’t sent any photos whatsoever, his reply was the text was not meant for me and that he is going to get a second wife soon and he is glad am now aware.
A second wave of pain now ran through my whole body cutting open, wounds of my C-section that had healed fifteen years ago.
I disconnected the phone call and called all my nine boys for an emergency family meeting.
All of them were surprised by their fathers’ actions and supported their one and only who carried them for nine good months and cried very hard, abusing nurses while pushing them out though her cervix.
They called him later in the evening for a men’s talk and since then, there has been no such word as “second wife” in my house.



Do you have a story worth sharing?
Get in touch at hanifatamin@gmail.com, will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment